2015 January 22 WOD

Metcon

For time:
25-20-15-10
Double Russian KBS (53/35)*
GHDSU
Hip Extension
*KB in each hand, rep ends with arms above parallel to the ground

Strength/Skill

Spend 10 minutes practicing pistols (regular, weighted, overhead barbell, overhead KB/DB, or whatever variation is challenging for you). If you can’t get close, spend this time working on a narrow stance squat.

“Your faith should have corresponding action.”
Comments
  1. Justin Harrison says:

12:53 green kb first/last set, red kb mid two sets
    all ghd’s
    hip ext first/last set, good mornings mid two sets

2. Cara says:

Started with sit-ups

Rds 1, 3 & 4 abmat sit-ups, rd 2 ghds (accidentally did 25 reps again) machine was set too short for me so didn’t attempt ghds for anymore rounds

Good mornings for each round

Rds 1, 3 & 4 20# kbs, rd 2 w/ 15#

3. Nicole says:

Metcon:
    KB-20#
    Sit ups (1 set of GHDSU)
    Hip extension (2 rounds of good mornings)

Skills:
    Pistols-did about 30.

4. John Phillips says:

Yellow KB
    Rounds 1 & 2 Situps & Good Mornings
    Rounds 3 & 4 GHD & Hip Extension

5. Tim C says:

30# KB ( Yellow)
    All AB mat situps, RND 1& 4 weighted good mornings
    RND 2 &3 good mornings with PVC

Skill: Worked pistols from several different options

6. Tanya Favara says:

30# KBs for 25/20, 35# 15/10
    GHD x25, abmat rest
    Hip ext x20, 33# good mornings rest

Pistols
    EMOM x 10 8 pistols (4 each leg alternating). Tough, hips weak after the WOD.
    Tried a few w/ 10# (I think) KB….not able to get up out of bottom w/ KB held overhead, but able to do w/ KB held at shoulder.

7. Scott Gatlin says:

I finished fast enough that I must have skipped something. Scaled the first three rounds heavily (1 pink kb, abmat situps, and pvc goodmornings). Last round was black kb x2 about waist high, ghdsu and hip ext. I MUST keep my zombie crew membership active…

8. Margaret Everette says:

Metcon 12:19
    10# DRKBS
    Ab mat sit-ups
    15# bar good mornings
    Pistol practice on 24″ box. Did squats with feet together.

9. 11:55
    10# dumbbell swings
    10 GHDSU, weighted (10# medicine ball) abmat sit-ups for the rest
    25 hip extensions, good mornings with 22# for the rest

Worked on pistols, squatting down to 20″ box

10. MarkDGoff says:

Metcon 10:58
    2 – 30# KB
    rest rxd

Worked on pistols, get close got one or two on left leg. Right leg is wobbly

15 min pre- wod mobility

11. Kate says:

Mobilized back again, hip flexors and shoulders

12. Carrie says:

Metcon – 16:16
    15 # dumbbell swings
    abmat situps with 15# med ball
    good mornings w/33# bar
    very little work on narrow squat stance – had to get to work

13. Sara M. says:

In case anyone’s pre-planning some Super Bowl finger foods, the above recipe is delicious!

I even put my own spin on it and made a twice baked sweet potato dessert by changing up the ingredients a little… The baking process is the same, but the ingredients are very simple! Such a yummy dessert!

Ingredients:
    4 medium sweet potatoes
    1 Tablespoon olive oil
    1/4 cup almond milk
    Cinnamon

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Pierce each sweet potato a few times and bake for 40-50 minutes or until soft. Allow the potatoes to cool slightly. Slice potatoes in half lengthwise.

Reduce oven temperature to 375F degrees. Scoop out sweet potato flesh, leaving a thin layer of sweet potato inside, and add flesh to a medium bowl. Place skins back on the baking sheet face up, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 10 minutes.

Mash the sweet potato flesh with almond milk and some cinnamon until smooth and creamy. After 10 minutes, remove the skins from the oven. Fill each with an equal amount of mashed sweet potato and top each with another dash of cinnamon. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven. Skins are best enjoyed immediately!

Cover leftovers tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

14. Jesse G says:

2 Rounds:
    25 Thrusters (75#)
    25 T2B

11:36 – Set out to do 3 rounds, but the back and shoulder said it was time to stop.

Pistol work – several reps to a bench, a few minutes spent on narrow stance squat, and then got a few good reps on each leg with my heel on the thin mat around the squat racks. Guess I need to work on ankle mobility, because I still can’t get down low enough flat-footed.

15. Shea says:

My tip for the day is: Carl Paoli–his website is gymnasticswod.com. He gives really clear, concise and helpful tips and demos on anything gymnastics from the very basic to the very complex (squats, push ups, ring rows/pull-ups-you name it!)
    Here is a link to his progressions for pistols–they helped me to be able to finally do them. Check them out.

16. Shea says:

skill work first-EMOM 10-started with 10 alternating pistols (5 each leg) for first 4 minutes, then did 4 w/10# kb overhead(2 each side) & 4 w/out weight (2 each leg) for the next 6 min.

Metcon: 10:48 with 25# kb’s; GHDSU’s & hip extensions

15 minutes of mobility before coaching the 8:30 class (t-spine, pects, hips/inner thigh):

17. Carrie says:

I am a football junkie and really fall down when it comes to hanging out with friends watching games and of course the Super Bowl. This year I have found a few recipes that I want to try so I can have something to take with me and be prepared. I am trying to decide which 2 or 3 would be best.

18. Carrie says:

Some of these are not 100% paleo but most are or can be made to be. I am debating between spinach artichoke dip, sweet sexy wings, garlic dill sweet potato wedges (would be great with homemade mayo or ranch – thanks Kate Wren) and baby pizza bites. Those are just the ones that would solve my cravings!

19. Stephani says:

Yummy Paleo Special Treat

1 banana sliced
    1/4 cup chopped pecans
    4 pitted dates chopped
    1 tsp coconut oil

Heat oil in sauté pan, add all ingredients, and cook until warm; sprinkle w Cinnamon. Enjoy!!

20. Jennie says:

Alone before 4:30 WOD
    30# DRKBS
    GHDSU (round of 20 Abmat sit-ups)
    Hip Extension

Pistol practice done.

Mobility/Stability work

21. Timothy Humphries says:

yellow KB
    situps with 20# med ball
    lightest bar good mornings

practice
    strict pull up
    ring dip

22. Dave says:

25 KB
    Mat sit ups. Started with GHD, did 12
    All good mornings 33 bar

Practice pistol progressions from mat.

23. Lucas Holland says:

9:46 rx’d

24. bigdolan says:

45# kb, situps, back raises. 14:14
    pistol progression

25. MaryLawson Day says:

35# R arm silver one with L
    GHDs except I rd not avail
    Good mornings with 33# bar

Worked pistols

Mobility at Stephanie Smith!
    She is my tip for the day. She said is a medical massage therapist in town a phenomenal resource. Visits to her are often painful but highly effective. She is incredibly knowledgeable abt anatomy and mobility. I’ve gone to her for 5 years and she’s always helped (through pains with distance running, back issues with mastectomy, and shoulder recovery).
    731-571-8445
    If you don’t need her now, hang on to the #, you will one day!!

26. Marcia Jo says:

Metcon: 15:30
    25# KBs for first 2 rounds, 20# for last 2
    Ab mat situps
    35 hip extensions, the rest good mornings

Strength: did it 🙂
    Pistols with top of foot assist

27. Gerrell says:

18-14-11-7
    25# KBS
    PVC hip extension

28. Barbara Beiter says:

Scale 18,14,11,7
    Rkbs 10#
    Abmat su
    He 2x, good morning 15# 1x, superman X11
    Practice pistol and air squat

29. Bill B says:

25-20-15-10
    13.44
    25# KBS
    Abmat SU
    15# Good Mornings x 3 Hip extension last rd

30. Brandy says:

Used 25# KBs on 20s did regular SUs and Good mornings with 22# bar. Rest GHDs and hip extentions.

Then got yelled at by Jennie because I don’t do my bridges right. 😉

31. Monte says:

35’s
    Abmat SU’s
    GM w standard bar/hip ext

10 min pistol progression

32. Brett Beckham says:

10:42. #35 kb, abmat/good mornings round 25 and 15. GHD/hip extensions 20 and 10. Worked pistols standing on 10 lbs plate and pvc overhead.

33. Elisabeth says:

Started out with 15# kb but my back wasn’t feeling it so I dropped down to 10#
    Ab mat sit ups
    Did good mornings with 15# bar

34. Patrick M says:

My off site wod was from 6 to 10:30 Tuesday & Thursday’s consisted of full turn out gear on air ( firefighter ) dragging downed firefighters and using different techniques to get them out to safety. Ex. Ropes,pulleys,extremity, chair,and blanket etc. Learned some good knot ties wearing my ppe (personal protective equipment) with gloves.

35. Heather M says:

Forgot to log yesterday

Metcon

Worked on skill
    Doing squats to build muscle for pistols!!

36. Kim says:

@home 1/26/15 morning
    35# regular kbs (no double)
    Abmat su w/10# wallball